Municipal Development Procedures – Development Permit Process

Lakeshore Development – Shorelines


New Building Bylaw

Please be advised that pursuant to Section 4 of the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act, the R.M. of Mervin No. 499 has a legal obligation to enforce and administer the Act through the adoption of a Building Bylaw for the health, safety or welfare of persons.  **Effective April 1, 2016, the R.M. of Mervin has adopted Bylaw No. 2016-03, known as the Building Bylaw, which requires the following:

  1. Completion of applicable permit(s): Building Permit, Relocation Permit; Demolition Permit
  2. One or more of the above permits are required for all residential, commercial and industrial buildings.  New primary farm residences will be required to complete a Building Permit and be inspected by a Building Inspector.
  3. Prepayment of Required Building Inspections to the R.M. of Mervin in order to have permit approved.
  4. Inspections from the R.M. of Mervin’s Building Inspector.

Ratepayers should be aware that the requirements of a building permit also requires the submission of a Development Permit and subsequent Real Property Surveyor’s Report (if required) to ensure that the location and intent of the development meets with the surrounding land uses.  The Building Permit is to ensure that the physical construction meets the National Building Code Standards for public safety.

For more information, please contact the RM’s Municipal Planner at (306) 845-7333 or at

Official Community Plan (OCP)

Description:                  The purpose of an OCP is to provide a comprehensive policy framework to guide the physical, environmental, economic, social and cultural development of the municipality or any part of the municipality.  This document establishes the policies that guide all planning and development within the RM of Mervin No. 499.

Attachments:                Mervin OCP Consolidation. 94-3

Zoning Bylaw

Description:                  The purposes of a Zoning Bylaw are to control the use of land for providing for the amenity of the area within the council’s jurisdiction and for the health, safety and general welfare of the inhabitants of the municipality.  This municipal document provides the rules and regulations for the implementation of the municipal policies outlined in the RM’s OCP.


Mervin Zoning Bylaw Consolidation. Bylaw 94-4 November 2018

 Zoning Bylaw Map. Jun 8 2015

Zoning District Map

Zoning Bylaw Purpose:  This is a bylaw to control the use and development of land in the municipality and to assist in implementing the Official Community Plan of the R.M. of Mervin No. 499.


Developmental Percentage

Description:                  Within the Lakeshore Development and Country Residential districts, the RM of Mervin has a development policy that regulates when additional lands can be subdivided.  Each of the districts require that the developmental rates reach 75% completed residential construction before Council will entertain any new rezoning into that zoning district.

“Completed”:                 The RM of Mervin considers the term “completed residential development” to be when SAMA has completed an assessment for the dwelling on the site.

Current Percent:
Turtle Lake – Lakeshore Development Percentage: 75.59%      
Bright Sand – Lakeshore Development Percentage: 46.32%
Country Residential District: 64.71%


Please be advised that the RM of Mervin has reached 75% of completed residential development within the Lakeshore Development District around Turtle Lake. In upcoming months, the RM of Mervin will be issuing a Call for Proposals for new residential subdivisions as a pre-submittal requirement prior to the submission of Subdivision Applications being submitted to the Community Planning Branch for review.

Please stay tuned to the RM of Mervin website for the issuance of the Call for Proposals. For more information, please call the RM of Mervin’s Municipal Planner at (306) 845-7333, or email

Hamlet Boards

Description:                  The RM of Mervin has the highest number of organized and unorganized hamlets within the Province of Saskatchewan, and we work closely with our elected Hamlet Boards.  The Hamlet Boards are advisory boards created to assist with municipal administration and implementation of planning and development.

Permits:                            The RM of Mervin Development Officer works closely with local Organized Hamlet Boards regarding development permit applications.  All permits are reviewed by the Hamlet Boards prior to approval or refusal by the Development Officer to ensure the Hamlet Boards are aware of local development.

Development Appeals Board (DAB)

Description:                  The DAB is an objective Board appointed by the RM of Mervin Council to hear development permit cases that have been refused by the RM of Mervin Development Officer.

Discretionary Uses:  Any refused discretionary use listed within the RM of Mervin Zoning Bylaw No. 94-4 cannot be appealed to the DAB as per section 219 of the Planning and Development Act, 2007.

Procedure:                      Upon receipt of the signed Notice of Decision, if the situation warrants an appeal the individual has 30 days to appeal their refusal to the DAB Secretary, accompanied by a $50.00 appeal fee.  The applicant must state the reasons for the appeal, summarize the supporting facts for each reason and indicate the relief sought by the appeal.

Fees:                                    To appeal to the DAB, all applications must include a $50.00 fee to begin the appeal process.  Should the fee not be included within the submission, the appeal is not valid and the process will not be started.

Further Appeal:           If any party within the individual appeal dislikes the decision of the local DAB, the decision can be appealed within 30 days to the Saskatchewan Municipal Board (SMB) which is a provincial appointed appeal board.

Links:                                 Saskatchewan Municipal Board:

For additional information regarding planning and development, please contact the RM of Mervin’s Municipal Planner at (306) 845-7333 or by email at



RV Development Permit and MoU

*Please note both the Permit & MoU must be completed and submitted with payment together.

RV Development Permit and MoU



Comments are closed.

Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Fifa Coins Fifa Coins Cheap Fifa Coins buy cheap fifa coins buy fifa coins cheap fifa coins fifa coins sale Fifa Coins cheap fifa coins sale fifa coins for sale cheap fifa coins price